[syslog-ng]TCP transport reliability

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:05:05 +0100

> > Yes again, and becouse of this, THERE ARE _NO_ SOLUTION for this problem.
> >
> > If you pour water to a horn in full speed, the water will overflow.
>
> unless of course, the horn has a way to stop the flow of water until
> it has capacity to process some more of it. :)
>
> The only way to solve this problem (IMHO) would be to make i/o to
> syslog-ng a blocking operation. Not many situations where this is
> what you would want.

one of the design goals of syslog-ng was _not_ to block programs sending log
messages. I could stop reading the source socket, but that would cause
blocked programs on the sending side, which would mean lower performance of
your computing system.

that said, I may implement this blocking fashion in syslog-ng sometimes.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt