[syslog-ng]PTR lookups; leak/crash fixes

Scott McDermott mcdermot@questra.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:59:16 -0400

A.L.Lambert on Thu  5/10 14:32 -0500:
> > Just for kicks, try HUPping it after you changed the config file to
> > write everything to a file host/program/year.month.day
> >
> > I bet it starts eating your CPU and RAM until your computer explodes
> > ;)
> >
> > But we'll see over the next few days...also it HUPs each night when
> > the rotation occurs, so perhaps that does a lot of freeing and we'll
> > get some stable behavior.
>
> Actually, I'm testing a linux box under almost exactly that
> configuration, and (going to check) after about 24 hours running under
> stress-test conditions (bout 2-4 messages a second from local, about
> 5-10 messages a second from other machines (UDP)), I've got the
> following:
>
> VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> 1596  652 ?        S    Oct04   0:35 syslog-ng
>
> I haven't actually had any trouble with syslog-ng on Linux since
> around 1.4.5 or so...  Anyhoo, YMMV I suppose.

Wow, I was crashing constantly (like, every half hour) without the
assertion fix :)

Try accepting from other machines via TCP, that seems to invoke the
strange behavior better.  I'm also using chain_hostnames which might
have something to do with it...more string ops.  Here's my ng process:

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root     18717 27.4  4.3  6268 5572 ?        R    Oct04 642:10 syslog-ng

on 333Mhz PII.  The VM use seems steady though...we'll see tomorrow.