[syslog-ng] FreeBSD

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:59:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Scott McDermott wrote:

> Balazs Scheidler on Sat 29/07 19:45 +0200:
> > > I'm running syslog-ng on a FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE machine.  It does
> > > work but tends to start using alot of CPU time and after that stops
> > > logging.  Maybe it's my dodgy config...
> >
> > I'm not using syslog-ng on FreeBSD. Could you provide me some more
> > details?  ktrace dump would be helpful.
>
> Incidentally, the 1.4.5 release did fix some of the leak/CPU problems,
> but only made it a longer period of time before the process eventually
> uses all system resources; there's still a leak somewhere.  I'll have
> more details within the next couple of weeks.

I've had lots of problems with the stability of syslog-ng on two debian
installs, but look at the syslog-ng listing from top on a redhat 6.2 box:

PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
355 root      11   0 20952  20M   432 R      0 56.7  2.6 12616m syslog-ng

It's been up and running for `expr 12616 / 60 / 24` == about 8 days with
no problems, and it's logging both to the regular logfiles in /var/log
plus archiving each host like this:

# separate logs
destination std {
file("/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$FACILITY/$YEAR$MONTH/$FACILITY$YEAR$MONTH$DAY" owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700) create_dirs(yes)); };

# log it
log { source(net);  source(local); destination(std); };

This is for around 50 hosts, so it's a not excactly a light load. It
consumes most of the CPU since it's usually the only running process.

This is syslog-ng 1.4.4, I forget which libol version (deleted the
tarball). I wonder what's so magic about redhat? Any thoughts?

--
Nate